Seeing Beyond The Color Brown

Seeing Beyond The Color Brown

I sat on the porch step waiting for my eyes to adjust to the light of the late afternoon sun. I scouted out distant plants in my flower garden. My quick judgement was , “ Awwh, everything is just brown, this is boring.” “Or is it?” I wondered.
I continued to peer out into the backyard with my new camera using a 70-300 mm lens . Soon I noticed the color purple in the Aster flowers. Most of the blossoms were curled up due frost damage, yet one or two was still in good form. Then the hardy Marigolds in yellow and orange caught my eye. This simple attraction caused me to get up and walk closer. Experimenting with various camera settings, I was absorbed into the world of rich textures and colors in the frost-damaged garden.

However, Lila’s constant meowing insisted I detach from my camera and turn to look at her. How is it that my cat knows, when she is not the center of my attention? Lila continued to meow at me and look up into the Peach tree. Perhaps she remembered this summer when I focused my camera on her, as she proudly perched on the branches. Such as a parent would do, I realised that I would have to include her in my activity. I gestured for her to jump up into the tree. If she feels like it, she will follow my invitation. However, it appeared more that she just wanted me to watch her. Her meowing stopped and off she wandered, checking back to ensure I was paying attention to what she was exploring.

Lila wandered over to the Strawberry patch. I was attracted to the brilliant red hues of the strawberry leaves. Seeing Lila attracted to a blade of grass, reminded me of my new Blog. Like a child, she toyed with the grass, smelled it, looked at me and then chewed it.

I crouched down and witnessed her connection to the nature of grass.

Perhaps you have read a book that has stayed with you for a long time. I have a few books that I like to reread. One such book is, Sight and Sensibility – the ecopsychology of perception, by Laura Sewall Ph.D. 1999.

David Abram describes in the Forward to Sewall’s book ,


“Sewall sets out to provide in these pages: an
i
nvitation to genuinely see in new ways.” 1. pgxiv


Further into the Forward, David Abram states,

"The eyes are not autonomous organs and the way we see things is profoundly influenced by what we hear or even taste of those things, by the way we imagine their textures would feel to our fingers or against our skin. Indeed vision may well be the most synaesthetic of the senses – the sense most thoroughly infiltrated and altered by the participation of the other senses.” 1. pgxvii

Abram ends by stating,

“In order to think deeply about vision, then, we must learn

to think not only with our eyes but our entire body.” 1. pgxvii

Perhaps you have had an experience of,


'Seeing with your Senses'.

Ta Ta For Now !

No comments:

Post a Comment